Wednesday 2 July 2014

Yujung's OELP reflection

During 7 days in China, I had experienced and felt many emotions. It was truly something that I want to experience again. I enjoyed in Huangshan the most because I had been living the city for so long that I forgot how it feel to be in 'real' nature. It was really worth to climb up to the peak. When I see the scenery up there, I could totally understand why people would clime mountain to see what is below. However, I do not really want to climb Huangshan again. I am aware of myself that in OELP, we should learn about history of China, how we learn link China to Singapore. To be honest with myself, that was not my priority. Rather than that, it was having fun, buy things for my family. Half of the time in OELP, I could not hear or make out the words the tour guides say. It was the worst in Meiling factory. The tour guide words were echoing the whole way and very muffled. Maybe it is because I did not pay attention enough or distracted by all the fascinating machines in the factory. The fact that surprised me the most was there was very few people in the factory working. I thought that there were a lot of people involved, working busily. However, it was not, I can call the place 'almost empty'! Being in city for so long, places like iFlytek, Meiling or Science centre did not interest me so much. The places that interest me was, Sanhe Guzhen, Xidi and Hongcun. I was able to see what kind of houses people live in during that time. The places are so old, the buildings had mosses and plants growing in them. There were scratches, colours were worn away, the old smells were lingering around (it was pleasant). There was place at Hongcun with newly built to preserve the outline of the ancient houses. When I look at them, it felt awkward and out of place. I have this basic prejudice about ancient thing must look 'old'. When 'ancient houses' are newly built, it look like completely new thing. There was no longer familiar feelings anymore. It just did not feel good. I realised it was important to reserve heritages. I felt to the inner bones that heritages can definitely not replaced by new. It takes times and constant care to be like one. School emersion was an unique one. I was able to experience how the lesson was going on in the China. The lesson was dark and serious. Everyone was paying attention so much. (Lesson was interesting, able to see that the teachers had prepared well.)Life application was used very frequently. In another word, the lesson was interesting for me too. I could understand what was going on with the lesson. It was fun to interact with Chinese and know how they feel about us. (They say all of us were nice!) The most important thing I have learnt from this trip is understanding. As I stay with friends for a week, their flaws are starting to show. It makes me form certain ideas about them, which I hate a lot. I try not to see it or even understand them (but I cannot understand them!). Understanding is something had been lacking since my birth. I think during OELP, it had improved a bit. I get to know bad and good side of many of the classmates, especially close friends. It was fun to get to know them. I do not regret going for OELP I wish I could stay there for longer period!

No comments: